Here's a bit more detail on the original incident.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-couple-fume-
handed-17k-27906242?_ga=2.246347724.933278429.1697443215-
401898413.1697443216

Yikes, try this link:

https://v.gd/QCDfhZ

A "goodwill repair" is when a manufacturer covers repair of something that
fails out of warranty, to make the customer happy and retain his future
loyalty.

I've read that Tesla has something like 10 times the goodwill repair costs
of other car manufacturers.  This was part of a recent allegation that they
were recording warranty repairs as goodwill, which would reduce Tesla's
apparent warranty costs.

Anyway, if that's true, I'll bet they could have handed this owner a new
goodwill battery for free, or for something more affordable like $5k, and
never even have noticed it in the bottom line.  That probably would have
prevented, or at least ameliorated, the negative PR that this will generate
for them.  Oh well.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     Research (noun): Searching the internet until you find a source
     that agrees with what you already believed.

                                                        -- Anonymous

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/