One of my standard statements:  You throw money at R&D and stuff falls out.
May not even be what you were aiming for, but stuff will fall out.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: "Lee Hart via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2024 11:45
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Cc: "Lee Hart" <leeah...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: No Apple EV

> The Briefing
> By Martin Peers
>
> Maybe Apple should cancel multibillion-dollar projects more often! Shares of
> the iPhone maker, which have fallen since the start of the year, rose nearly
> 1% Tuesday after Bloomberg scooped the news that Apple had canned Project
> Titan, its decade-old autonomous car project...

This is a typical Wall Street "money is all that matters" type of response.

Titan was an R&D project. You do R&D to learn, not to make money. It *may* lead
to something in the future; but most R&D projects don't.

R&D money isn't somehow lost or burned. It keeps your best and brightest people
active, thinking, and creating. It supports your suppliers, and encourages them
to innovate as well. And, all this "lost money" may well come up with something
that *is* practical and makes money!

We only have EVs today as a direct result of R&D. People were willing to
"waste" time and money developing them anyway, just to learn and develop the
technology.

Lee

--
Excellence does not require perfection. -- Henry James
--

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/