The consensus is that ~30mA is the threshold for a fatal shock under ordinary circumstances:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_injury
and
https://www.asc.ohio-state.edu/physics/p616/safety/fatal_current.html

Thus, most countries pick 30 mA as the trip for GFCI (RCD). Picking a greater current increases the risk of fatalities, while picking a lower current increases the risk/frequency of nuisance tripping. 30 mA is the smart place to set the standard trip.

Nuisance tripping due to the lower 5 mA threshold actually reduces safety, if you think about it for a bit. Whole house GFCI protection is totally impractical at 5mA, while it is completely acceptable and the normal practice at 30 mA. Unprotected circuits in the household raise the safety risk, obviously. Bedroom outlets are a prime example of non-GFCI protected areas under the NEC. (They have arc fault protection, but that is a different animal entirely.)

Nuisance tripping will cause folks to defeat the GFCI protection by simply using an extension cord to an unprotected outlet (like one in a hallway) when they are in an area that requires a GFCI, like outdoors, or in the kitchen.

Keep in mind that 30 mA GFCI protection is required over the entire household, you can, but you aren't required, to use a single device to accomplish that coverage. I have several separate GFCI breakers, each covering different portions of my house. I have a separate GFCI breaker for the lighting. I have a separate GFCI breaker for the front outlets and one for the rear outlets. I have two separate GFCI circuits for outdoor outlets. They aren't terribly expensive, and having separate ones helps isolate any problems that may occur.