Mark,
Modern EVSE do not use the Neutral, but early EVSE did for their
control circuit power, because a 120V power supply was cheaper and
easier to find than a 240V supply.
Today all EVSE use a multi-voltage switch mode power supply, but just
to illustrate: the first version of the Leaf convenience charger had a
120V transformer (!) inside to generate about 15V for the control
system and pilot signal.
I know, because I converted a few using a small switching
multi-voltage supply to be able to run them from a 240V outlet.

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/