Hi Folks,

I ground .1" off the upper camber holes per the video below going from .550
to .650 with calipers/grinder/dremmel that changed my rear camber from -2.1
to -.2, also took a level straight edge on the tire rim (while car is inside
a *flat* concrete garage) and measured .5" at the top of the rim (tire
sloping inwards).  Now after the mod, I only measure .12 (about 1/8" slope
inwards over the rim with bubble level). Be sure to tighten to 95 foot
pounds with a proper torque wrench.

Don't waste a lot of time (like I did) in alignment shops trying to align a
car with *no* adjustments except for front toe!  You would think an
expensive car would have caster/camber adjustments, oh-well.

Due to the geometry of the rear (not a solid rear axle like the Chevy Bolt
or truck with 0 Camber), I initially checked the toe in to be about 0 by
measuring with a tape measure duct taped to the outer tread on the rear vs
front of the tires for a differential reading, initially 0, or 0 toe in.
After the camber mod, the toe in is now 1/8" *in* overall, not bad, but not
0 anymore. To see if it's close to .17 degrees in per spec, I'd have to take
it to an alignment shop (which I've had poor results in the past).  I'll see
how it tracks, in my experience 1/8" measured tire toe is usually good on
front certainly & ok on rear (but usually 0).

Model Y 2021 Standard specs: / Long Range (Coil Suspension):Front Camber:
-0.30° ± 0.45°Rear Camber: -0.80° ± 1.0°Front Caster: 5.70° ± 1.0°Front
Individual Toe: IN 0.03° ± 0.15°Rear Individual Toe: IN 0.17° ± 0.15°

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WYLZXZ1WJg


follow-up on front fix/tires:
On the front shock towers a couple years ago, I followed Phil's advice to
move the shock towers over to take out the negative camber & fix the tire
eating (inside wear) up front - which worked well (*no* help from the Tesla
dealer or local tire-alignment shops).  Also Phil gave good advice on
replacing the stock 255/45R19 tires with 235/50R19 that are 1" less wide.
The Summit tires are about $100ea from Walmart instead of the stock $400ea
Continentals & run *much* quieter/smoother ride.  Although they show .2"
larger diameter - after checking on my iPhone GPS, I found *no* difference
in MPH/ODO.  "Fuel" economy appears to be about a 5% improvement in range
avg 250 whr/mi vs 237.5 whr/mi.

PS, I thought of buying the $400 N2iTive or Unplugged etc camber/rear
adjusters *but* they appeared to be made of aluminum (feared they may break
under pounding), somewhat pricy and if I did the above mod right, I wouldn't
have to touch it again.  I have 161K miles on my Tesla Y 2021 so far.


Have a renewable energy day,

Mark

Mark E. Hanson
184 Vista Lane
Fincastle, VA 24090
540-473-1248 phone & FAX, 540-816-0812 cell
REEVA: community service RE & EV project club
Website: www.REEVAdiy.org (See Project Gallery)
UL Certified PV Installer
My RE&EV Circuits: www.EVDL.org/lib/mh 
REEVA Demo: http://youtu.be/4kqWn2H-rA0 
Fincastle Solar Weather Station



_______________________________________________
Address messages to [email protected]
No other addresses in TO and CC fields
HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/
OT: If you use an Android device, please read https://keepandroidopen.org/

Reply via email to