Boy, it's been years since I did Oracle demos, but unless things have
changed dramatically, here goes...

Oracle Portal - does not 'do' content management.  Does not empower
business users to author content, leverage workflow, compare diffs of
content changes, etc. as you're used to with Plone.

Oracle Portal is a 'framework' for building things.  It'll do very
little out of the box, but provides the plumbing to insert portlets
(create a dashboard of them) that are provided by an organizations other
huge commercial app vendors.  For instance, your company's MRP
application (SAP, Oracle, JD Edwards) probably has a JSR-168 compliant
(blah, blah, blah) portlet that will show a user who has the rights to
see inventory levels of a given product you manufacture.  There is
certainly a portlet from Siebel (CRM) that provides a view into the
company sales pipeline, etc., etc.  Each other big app provides
portlets, or you use your team of Java and PL/SQL developers to create
your own and you assemble a dashboard to present the proper info to the
proper user/department.

Oracle also purchased a commercial CMS vendor named Stellent a while
back.  Oracle's CMS story used to be that 'you can leverage the Java and
PL/SQL expertise that your IT already has to build a custom CMS on top
of our portal framework that is customized to your needs.'  We won't
even get into the fact that you need to have about 8 services running
for Oracle portal to be alive and provide a response for your web
requests - it's a behemoth!

Now Stellent is another story.  This is a truly 'enterprise' CMS that in
theory can handle 'write-once-publish-anywhere' type functionality, so
you can author content via the CMS and have it published on your website
or in print form.  Incoming content is also more 'enterprisy', with
hooks into huge OCR scanning systems and 'DAM' (Digital Asset
Management) tools that allow one to manage all media, modify it via a
browser (not just resize and rotate as with Plone), etc.

If Plone is up against Oracle Portal only, you should be able to blow it
away with what Plone does out of the box, unless this truly is a shop
that loves to develop custom widgets using their in-house Java and
PL/SQL expertise.

If the competition is Stellent, then cost and ease-of-use is your
biggest advantage.  Stellent is quite powerful, but there are so many
different places to go (because of stitching together the DAM, workflow,
and other features over the years from other systems) that it can be
confusing and isn't nearly as simple as Plone's authoring/editing and
its Site Setup area.

By the way, the Stellent sales team (if you are up against it) will
point out that their CMS can transform incoming or outgoing to/from just
about any proprietary format (Quark Express, heck, probably even
FileMaker Pro, etc.), and this is true - Stellent is probably the best
CMS out there for this, but that is a microcosm of what an org will use
a CMS for typically, so try to keep things to 'Web' Content Management
and away from off-line desktop publishing and Plone will do well.

I hope this helps!

Ken Wasetis
ken.wase...@contextualcorp.com