Jonathon Coombes wrote:

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 18:39 +0000, Ian Lynch wrote:

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 18:02, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:

Jacqueline wrote:

Jean Hollis Weber wrote:

I'm assuming we'll have an OOo booth at the main LCA 2005 conference all week, in addition to a 2-day programme, similar to San Diego. Is this correct?

[snip]

LCA (http://www.linux.conf.au/) is very unlike DLS.

There are no booths at LCA. Some sponsors may have a presence, but this is very low key. Usually spponsors support part of the programme, e.g. dinner, or items in the delegates bag etc.

Thanks for the clarification. That's very disappointing for me, because I like being a booth babe. If I had know there would be no booth, I probably would not have signed up to attend. Oh well, I've paid my entry fee and made my plane reservations, and been accepted as a speaker, so I'll be there. Let me know if there's anything you want me to do.

I'm about to book air tickets. I am a little worried about travelling
the distance if there are no points of focus apart from lectures and
talks. Anyone like to reassure me that it will be worthwhile?

Hi Ian,

Let me just say that I understand Jean's fear of not having booths
at the LCA, but rest assured, it is well worth it. As someone who
has been to over half of the LCA's in the past, including the first,
I can say there is no other conference like it, certainly down under.

LCA is rated among the top 3 conferences of its type in the world.
Although there are limited booths for LCA, the people and the sponsors
that you meet there are well worth every dollar spent.

There is a problem with LCA currently getting too many participants
which detracts from the atmosphere of previous conferences. They are
talking about seperating LCA into a developer focused LCA, and the
option of a user conference. This user conference, if successful, will
eventually be the place to do OOo type presentations and will probably
be much more along the lines of the events you are used to in USA.

Again, even if you come along just for the OOo Miniconf, there are
people there to meet with and dicuss OOo face to face. Some of these
people are very knowledgable and would find it useful to put a face
to other names on the list. :)

Regards
Jonathon

Hi Jonathon,

Define the value. I must admit I'm a little concerned myself. Right now I'm a poor student trying to wrangle cash to get to the conference. Not having a OOo/INGOTs focus point would be a bit of a problem.
Would you say then that this is pretty much a developers only conference.

Cheers
Yo