I know your only looking out for OOo.  :)

On 8/29/05, Louis Suarez-Potts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Adam,

On Aug 29, 2005, at 11:34 PM, Adam Moore wrote:

> On 8/29/05, Louis Suarez-Potts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Another thing that came out of the RegiCon was a contact that led
> > to the NEA conference, where a lot of teachers learned about OOo
> > for the first time. And undoubtedly, the education sector is very
> > important because each teacher has the potential to influence at
> > least 60 kids a year.
>
> Indeed it is, and I'm glad--honest--that this came out of DLS.  OOo
> benefits then insofar as elements in the education sector--which we
> had reached into before, of course--deployed and also now seek to
> develop OOo and contribute to the project. But I'll be cynical, too,
> and wonder if the NEA effort was not subsumed into an INGOT effort.
> I'd be happy to be shown that it was not.
>
> 100% of the people we talked to heard about OpenOffice from us.
> 75% of the people we talked to heard about INGOTs from us.

Thanks! I'm delighted that OOo was heard by them. I thanked the group
when Ian reported on [EMAIL PROTECTED], but:  Thanks, Adam, Ian, and
others (not sure who all went) for promoting OOo.

> The next query: who is following up on the NEA contacts?
>
> You misunderstand the NEA.  It is not a conference for making
> "sales" of OpenOffice.  It is a conference for teacher awareness.
> The teachers talk to other teachers and they bring up the idea to
> the people in charge.  This could be techs, management etc.
> Teachers as a whole have alot of power.  If they want something as
> a group it usually gets done. (not counting salaries ;) although... )

Ah.  Thanks for the clarification.  I was obviously mistaken.  This
raises an interesting thread, on education, but we can hold that on
education@ or elsewhere.  I think, of course, that the education area
is big:  I am after all, the "lead" of the university section of the
Education sub-project and fully recognise the need of having a
presence in schools of all levels. I also, as my history on the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] list can attest, have supported Ian's efforts as
education lead:; I think he's done a good job and look forward to
discussing education issues with him at OOoCon.

> > I believe that a couple of people went to both the RegiCon in San
> > Diego and the MiniCon in Camberra (Jean and Ian). Perhaps it'd be
> > good for them to give their opinions on how the two conferences
> > compared. That would give at least the people who went to Camberra
> > a better idea of how RegiCon went.
> >

> >> but we generally want a conference to be worth  the effort and
> money.
> >>

> > Why of course. So let's talk about effort and money:
> >
> > 1) Effort:
> > If the people putting in the effort would be volunteers who are
> > interested in the work, and cannot attend OOoCon due to distance.
> > So, in effect, there is zero loss in terms of effort.
>
> Not quite.  There is a lot to be done, and I do not, for one, see
> that one should only contribute to OOo if one stands to benefit
> directly.  This is a community thing.  I have already sketched some
> of the things that have to be done for OOoCon even by people who are
> not attending.  You are still involved in it because you are involved
> in the Project. To think otherwise harms the community.  To learn
> more of what needs to be done, don't hesitate to ask the OOoCon
> organisers or Jacqueline and John.
>

> I will do that in my next e-mail.

Thanks!

You know, my only point is that if we attend conferences *as* OOo we
need to go there strongly and in message, representing the project
overall.

> --
> Adam Moore
> Community Volunteer