On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:40:57AM +0200, Axel Braun wrote:

> I feel the community is in a difficult position here: The commitment
> is to support 13.1 long-term, which is, by the way, a solid release as
> well. On the other hand, 13.2 is the last 32bit release, which brings
> it into a special position.
>
> Personally I'm happy with using 13.1 on older hardware, but under the
> above light, maybe it is worth to discuss this again?

I don't like the idea of switching Evergreen support from 13.1 to 13.2
for at least two reasons:

1. Evergreen support for 13.1 was announced quite long in advance (and
much longer than expected, actually). There are users who kept 13.1 on
their machines exactly for this reason and didn't upgrade them to 13.2
(OK, in my case, there was also the nasty bug with keyboard mapping on
VT which I considered a blocker).

2. openSUSE 13.2 comes with a 3.16 kernel which is backed neither by an
upstream stable-3.y branch nor by a SLE kernel. Responsible maintenance
of this kernel with resources available for Evergreen project doesn't
seem feasible to me. Other options, i.e. switching to e.g. 3.12
(evergreen 13.1 / SLE12-SP1), 3.18 (upstream by Sasha Levin), 4.1 (Leap
42.1) or 4.4 (Leap 42.2 / SLE12-SP2), have their own severe drawbacks.

My plans are to do my best to help keep Evergreen 13.1 going until at
least half of 2017, then switch to Leap 42.2 (hoping QTBUG-49410 is
fixed by then). Next steps will depend on what the 42.1 -> 42.2
transition turns out to look like (and if the idea of Leap as a long
term support distribution works the way I hoped it would).

                                                         Michal Kubeček