Hi,
let me answer in one run.....

Am Freitag, 28. Oktober 2016, 16:40:12 schrieb Bruno Friedmann:

> > > When the nvidia driver fails it fails both in level 5 and via startx.
> > > Actually, starting via startx serves to read the diagnosis messages.
> > >

> > > Axel, I would look at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log*" files for clues.

That looks OK to me - it installs the Radeon driver for the Mobility X600 chip
(yes, its quite old)
and it claims that it does not find the legacy fglrx driver. No other EE
messages

> Also check if your system is still setup to boot on level 5
>
> it can be changed by yast, or systemctl
>
> systemctl status default.target
> ‚óŹ graphical.target - Graphical Interface

This is interresting, If I go into the runlevel editor in Yast it does not
offer anyrunlevels to set (expert mode) - the combo-box is empty!

Anyway, systemctl get-default issues graphical.target as result.
Having set this once again, and rebootet, the output during boot is still
'Reached target graphical interface'

So...even if the Default_WM would have changed, it should at least reach the
login screen
Switching console with ALT-Fx, terminal login and startx still works...

Any other ideas?
Thx
Axel