Desmund Biddulph helped me to a crucial insight: thoughts exist in the
plenitude, but they are not objectively related to one another. This very
thought, of  you reading this e-mail, exists. But don't expect it to be
followed by another one!

So - consciousness is the hard problem precisely because it does not exist
as a sequence of thoughts in time. Nothing can be viewed objectively as a
sequence of thoughts in time.

A lion's idea of hunger exists, but there is no lion...