Jacques Mallah wrote:
>     Secondly, it well known that you believe a static string of bits could
> be conscious.  Such a hypothetical observer would, by definition, be unable
> to take any actions.  (Including thinking, but he would "have one thought
> stuck in his head".)
>                          - - - - - - -
>                Jacques Mallah ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>          Physicist  /  Many Worlder  /  Devil's Advocate
> "I know what no one else knows" - 'Runaway Train', Soul Asylum
>          My URL: http://hammer.prohosting.com/~mathmind/

The static string needn't appear static to itself, only to some
outside observer. It should hopefully be well known that I beleive a
sense of time is essential for consciousness, even if that sense
of time appears to be a psychological illusion to other observers
living in a different time.

Dr. Russell Standish                     Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965