Saj Malhi, [EMAIL PROTECTED], wrote :

>I would suggest that a computation is something that produces an output.

I don't think it is necessary. What about non stopping computation ? Or
non halting Turing Machines, or a dreaming brain, or the "whole" universe

I think the discussion on whether string or computation can be conscious
is a red herring.

Neither a string, nor a computation, nor a computer, nor a brain, etc.
can be conscious.
Only a person can be conscious.

The question is could a string and/or a computation incarnate a person
(relatively to an environment).

With computationnalism the answer is yes, both for string and computation.
(Obviously, with comp a computation is a string, or an equivalence class
of strings relatively to the choice of an universal Turing machine, so
nuances can be introduced for specific purposes).

 | Bruno MARCHAL                   Phone :  +32 (0)2 6502711         |
 | Universite Libre de Bruxelles   Fax   :  +32 (0)2 6502715         |
 |                                 Prive :  +32 (0)2 3439666         |
 | Avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 50                                         |
 | IRIDIA,  CP 194/6                                                 |
 | B-1050   BRUSSELS               Email :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]        |
 | Belgium                         URL   : |