On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Juergen Schmidhuber wrote:
> Jacques Mallah wrote:
> > .... A continuous structure is a perfectly good
> > mathematical structure, but no Turing based scheme can include it.
>
> Why assume non-computable stuff without compelling reason?
> Shaved by Occam's razor.

        On the contrary.  Why assume the lack of *any* given type of
mathematical stucture?  A true everything-hypothesis surely would not.
Occam's razor says: don't add extra distinctions such as a restriction
like that.
        Note also that, as I said, computability isn't the real issue.  A
Turing machine can not be a continuous (but computable) structure.  Of
course the non-computable stuctures should exist too in an everything -
hypothesis.

              Jacques Mallah ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
       Graduate Student / Many Worlder / Devil's Advocate
"I know what no one else knows" - 'Runaway Train', Soul Asylum
            My URL: http://pages.nyu.edu/~jqm1584/