Juergen:
> There is the rather harmless kind: the countable one. And some say
> there is another kind, a strange one, the one associated with the
> uncountable continuum, the one whose very existence many deny.
>
> Do not lump them together.

Yes, I can see how this distinction might be useful in some esoteric
discussions.  But it seems (to me) to have little relevance to achieving a
successful Theory of Everything.  And it might even distract us..

Both kinds of infinities are inaccessible to humans.  So they can play no
part in our theories.  In this sense, I think it's fair to lump them into
the pile of things that are not helpful.

We cannot build the universe out of pieces themselves we cannot construct.
(e.g. Pi)

--

Juergen, what do you think about the minimal cellular automaton?  Is it a
good candidate ATOE (algorithmic theory of everything)?

Joel