Marchal wrote:

Do you think the dream and awake state are symmetrical?
I am not sure. It seems to me that in the dream state you can realise
you are dreaming, but that in the "awake" state you can never realise
you are awake. "awakenings" go from more relative inconsistencies to
less relative inconsistencies.

(To be awake is akin to <>t, to be
dreaming is akin to []f, at least in a first approximation.)

Bruno

Dream and awake state are in principle symmetrical. Here are four points to cover all bases:
1) Knowing you are dreaming: A lucid dream is a dream in which you know you are dreaming
2) Knowing the Plenitude: Someone who believes 100% in quantum immortality leads a life akin to lucid dreaming. (Also valid if you replace quantum immortality by God or Heavens).
3) Not knowing you are dreaming: In some cases you are dreaming but do not know it. For example, a nightmare would not be a nightmare if you knew you were dreaming.
4) Not knowing the Plenitude: Someone who does not believe in quantum immortality (like most of us) takes his life so seriously that when it turns for the worst it become a "nightmare." Belief in quantum immortality eliminates the "seriousness" of bad experiences.

Yes I do think there is a symmetry between dreaming and being awake. The critical issue is BELIEF: whether you believe you are dreaming or not and this affects the CONSISTENCY of what you are observing. Same goes for the "real" world. There may be a difference only in the "quality of the rendering" just like the difference between a black and white silent movie and a 3D full color holographic audio visual display. One could also imagine a super being for whom dreams would be in full 3D color. So in principle I don't see any difference.

I just want to clarify the idea of  "shared" dreams. I think we must relate this idea to the concept of "objective reality" that is the sharing of a common "frame of reference" between different observers.