On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 12:51:09PM +1000, Russell Standish wrote:
> This set of all descriptions is the Schmidhuber approach, although he
> later muddies the water a bit by postulating that this set is generated
> by a machine with resource constraints (we could call this Schmidhuber
> II :). This latter postulate has implications for the prior measure
> over descriptions, that are potentially measurable, however I'm not
> sure how one can separate these effects from the observer selection
> efects due to resource constraints of the observer.

I just found a paper which shows that if apparent quantum randomness has
low algorithmic complexity (as Schmidhuber II predicts), then FTL
communications is possible.

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9806059

Quantum Mechanics and Algorithmic Randomness
Authors: Ulvi Yurtsever
Comments: plain LaTeX, 11 pages
Report-no: MSTR-9801

A long sequence of tosses of a classical coin produces an apparently
random bit string, but classical randomness is an illusion: the
algorithmic information content of a classically-generated bit string lies
almost entirely in the description of initial conditions. This letter
presents a simple argument that, by contrast, a sequence of bits produced
by tossing a quantum coin is, almost certainly, genuinely
(algorithmically) random. This result can be interpreted as a
strengthening of Bell's no-hidden-variables theorem, and relies on
causality and quantum entanglement in a manner similar to Bell's original
argument.