A good summary of the Bogdanov controversy is in the New York Times today. URL is

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/09/arts/09PHYS.html

Some of the folks we like to quote here are quoted in the article, including Lee Smolin, John Baez, Carlo Rovelli, etc.

Also, the latest "Wired" print issue has a fairly good survey article by Kevin Kelly about theories of the universe as a cellular automaton. Konrad Zuse gets prominent mention, along with Ed Fredkin. I didn't read the article closely, so I didn't notice if either Tegmark or Schmidhuber were mentioned. The usual stuff about CA rules, Wolfram's book, etc.

Things have been quiet here on the Everything list. I haven't been commenting on my own reading, which is from books such "Physics Meets Philosophy at the Planck Scale" and "Entanglement." Isham's collection of essays on QM should arrive momentarily at my house. My interest continues to be in topos theory, modal logic, and quantum logic.

--Tim May
(.sig for Everything list background)
Corralitos, CA. Born in 1951. Retired from Intel in 1986.
Current main interest: category and topos theory, math, quantum reality, cosmology.
Background: physics, Intel, crypto, Cypherpunks