This is the first of probably (the future is not yet known!) articles I'll do today for this list, responding to the comments of several of you.

Yesterday I was reading from a new book, "Faster Than the Speed of Light," Joao Magueijo, about his theory that the speed of light may vary from place to place and, especially, over time.

One thing he reminded me of is the culture of sitting in crowded offices doing physics by arguing, drawing pictures, arguing, yelling, laughing, drawing more pictures, shaking heads in despair, and arguing some more. Of the arguments go on until one side gives up, or falls asleep, or leaves in disgust, unconvinced.

(Things are no so orderly as in the "decision duels" described by Marc Stiegler in "David's Sling.")

He also mentions the late night drinking, the arguments where each side is mumbling and sleepy. Lee Smolin has called this the "Russian way to do math and physics."

Well, we don't have this kind of bandwidth, or time. We write our little articles, sans drawings and equations, and we just don't have the time or energy to spend hours debating and arguing and resolving intermediate issues. So it is not surprising that we see even _less_ convergence of views than the office arguers above probably see.

So, onward to those replies I need to write.

--Tim May