At 03:21 PM 2/10/2003 -0500, Stephen Paul King wrote:
Dear Jean-Michel and Hal,

    All good humor aside, Hal makes a good point! The conditions that would
exist as one approaches the event horizon seem to be such that any signal
would be randomized such that the end result would be that Nature prevents
infinite information (or conclusions requiring infinite computational power)
from reaching any finite part of itself.
    Interestingly this seems to be the same situation as what forms an event
horizon (around a space-time singularity) in the first place. Could it be
that this is an active example of the so-called anthropic principle? It also
reminds me of a solution to the Quantum Suicide problem!

Kindest regards,

Stephen
Thank you to all of you for your ideas.
Let us say that my suggestion was merely provocative.

It seems to be that hypercomputers are logically possible, but
that it is still speculative whether they are physically possible
or not.

This is Toby Ord's view in http://arxiv.org/pdf/math.LO/0209332.
I find his survey very good.

In particular, it contains a reference to "Does General relativity
Allow an Observer to View an Eternity in a Finite Time ?" by Mark L. Hogarth,
and to "Non-Turing computations via Malament-Hogarth space-times",
by Etesi and Németi, http://www.math-inst.hu/pub/algebraic-logic/turing.ps,
which will be of interest to many, and especially to Jesse Mazer, as it discusses
his question.

All the best.

Jean-Michel