Hi to everybody. I subscribed to this mailing list yesterday, but I'd like to pose a question since I think it _must_ be the right place.

Quantum mechanics can be formulated in terms of path integrals (Feinmann integrals). By substituting the time t with an (Euclidean) immaginary time i s, that is, a real value s times the imaginary root mean square of -1, the path integral changes to the Boltzmann distribution, where the energy is the (classical) energy of a continuum (classical) mechanical system, at temperature 1/h.

From this fact, someone claims that quantum world is simply a classical world, but rotated by pi/2 in the complex plane of t: the real world is classical, but we see it at the wrong angle. In particular, something similar happens near the event horizon of a black hole, and it should be the ultimate origin of Hawking radiation.

I tried to derive this relation, or some kind of this, and I concluded that it holds only at a formal level. Has anyone any idea about this topic?

Doriano Brogioli