See Charley Lineweaver's recent paper (arXiv:astro-ph/0209385) for a
discussion of how likely life is to arise on a terrestrial planet. Of
course the issue of how many terrestrial planets is not covered there,
although Lineweaver has some arguments for that as well. I would not
be surprised if life is common in the universe.

However, see Robin Hanson's paper (http://hanson.gmu.edu/hardstep.pdf)
for an argument as to why intelligent life might be rare.

                                        Cheers

David Barrett-Lennard wrote:
..

> But maybe we have no reason to believe that life will happen so easily.
> Given the idea of the ensemble for a TOE,  it is only necessary that
> SAS's can exist - no matter how improbable.

..

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")