One possibility for why we do not find ourself in an old, galaxy-spanning civilization has already been mentioned--perhaps after a certain point all the individual minds in a civilization unite into a single Borg-like hivemind, and this reduction in the number of minds might imply that the self-sampling assumption would predict we'll find ourselves in a time before this happens (although if the hivemind lasts for billions of years, the argument might not work because this individual mind would probably have more separate observer-moments than the total number of observer-moments of the hundred billion or so individuals who lived before the mind-merging).

Another possibility is suggested by a theory about how the measure on observer-moments could be influenced by the likelihood of future duplications, which I discussed a bit in this post (in response to a post by Bruno Marchal discussing the same idea):

If observer-moments which are more likely to have more copies of themselves existing in the future have higher measure, then this might also suggest why I find myself living before civilization has spread throughout the galaxy--perhaps observers who are alive right at the time when the "technological singularity" occurs are the ones who are most likely to become the earliest uploads and to have the most copies of themselves living in the future galaxy-spanning civilization, thus giving the pre-singularity versions of themselves a much higher measure than any post-singularity observer-moments.