On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 03:00:30PM +0100, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> comp assumes only that the sequence 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ... "lives" in
> Platonia. 3-person time apparantly does not appear. 1-person time
> appears through the S4Grz logic.

Fair enough - I realised it was a consequence of your mind model.

> >In terms of the above assumptions, 1) is a consequence of
> >computationalism, which I take is a basis of your theory (although
> >I've never understood how computationalism follows from COMP).
>

> ?   Wait a bit. COMP refers to  computationalism. I don't understand.

As I understand it, COMP refers to the conjunction of:

1) Arithmetic realism
2) Church-Turing thesis
3) Survivability of consciousness under duplication

Computationalism (as I understand it) is the strong AI principle -
that a program running on a Turing machine (or equivalent) is
sufficient to generate consciousness. A stronger version might be that
all conscious processes can be represented by a program. I can see how
3) follows from this stronger version - but I don't see how
computationalism follows from COMP.

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")