Hi Stephen:

Accepting as a starting point the earlier argument that our universe is an interpretation of a collection of the automaton cells considered there then going further: What can the collection look like in order to have an interpretation compatible with our universe?

It is entirely reasonable that collections of cells extending beyond nearest neighbors have state histories that are coordinated to some degree. I have called these coordinations dances since the particular state progressions can move from cell to cell without the cell itself moving - the cell does not change nearest neighbors. Some dances look like this.

For example what we call a photon can be such a dance moving through the grid of cells.

Dark matter could be just a very large scale dance somewhat kept in place by smaller dances within and in turn influencing these internal dances.

Further it must be remembered that the progression of states in any cell is a succession of discontinuities. One state shifts to another with no continuity of states between.

In this venue dances interact and change each other discontinuously by mutual collision or by exchanging smaller dances.

How then does a human differ in kind from a rock? Should we expect them to differ in kind?