At 14:46 23/07/04 -0400, Stephen Paul King wrote:
Dear Bruno and Friends,

    After having read Smullyan's wonderful little book and reading these
posts I would like to point out a problem that I see.
    The notion of Knights and Knaves, as Truth and Falsehood-tellers (or
"reporters") respectively, tacitly assumes that these entities are
Omniscient, e.q., that they have access to a list of all Possible
Truths/Falsehoods or what ever is equivalent. No effort seems to be made to
explain exactly how it is that this assumption can be related to the actual
world of experience, a world where information is finite, oracles are often
wrong, perpetual motion is impossible and distributions are almost never
Gaussian nor linear.

Still postulating a physical universe I see ...
But to justify the "physical" universe without postulating it is one of our
(at least mine) goal.
When you say <<No effort seems to be made to explain exactly how it
is that this assumption can be related to the actual
world of experience, a world where information is finite, oracles are often
wrong, perpetual motion is impossible and distributions are almost never
Gaussian nor linear>>, you seem to abstract away my thesis, for which
FU is a preliminary. See my current post to Jesse for yet another attempt
for a short description of that "effort".

    This, I believe, is related to the main problem that I have with the
Platonic approach to Logic, Mathematics and COMP (among others), it grants
"God-like" powers to entities - infinite computational resources, infinite
heat sinks/sources, etc. - and in so doing allows for us to fool ourselves
that very difficult problems, such as found in cosmology, can easily be
solved.

Ok, but then (arithmetical) platonism is among the postulates of the comp
theory. Nobody ever ask you to believe the theory.