Hi Russell:

At 06:50 PM 1/10/2005, you wrote:

It is an assumption (or perhaps postulate: the Time postulate). It is
amenable to debate, just as Euclid's axioms are. I offer the following
points in its favour:

1) Observation is the process of creating information, by
   distinguishing differences between things (aka bits).

I can not agree with this given my model. Physical Reality is brought to world kernels in some sequence by the dynamic. As I stated before each step of the dynamic is inconsistent with its past [see the All/Nothing multiverse model thread]. As such there is no dimensionality to it or perhaps one could call it infinitely dimensioned. All world kernels preexist within the All. Information is not created or destroyed. Switched on and off in terms of physical reality is a better view. However, world kernels are of different informational content [size] so a world can look like information is created if the sequence of kernels consists of kernels of increasing size.

2) To have a difference, obviously requires at least one dimension.

Worlds can of course have non zero finite dimensionality. However, differences are not distinguishable by some other difference [a difference is what I take to be that which is pointed to by the term "observer"].

3) To compare two different entities requires that the properties of
   the two entities be brought together (inside the observer's
   "mind"). Thus the one required dimension must be "timelike", with
   the observer passing from point to point.

As stated above a difference can not "compare" [distinguish] other differences. However, a difference can change as the dynamic moves to different kernels and this can look like an act such as distinction and appear [memory - false or not] as if directed by the difference that changes.

4) For those who believe in Computationalism, the Turing model of
   computation implicitly requires this Time postulate.

Some kernel sequences could appear to be the successive outputs of a computer but this is just appearance.

5) It appears to be a necessary ingredient to obtain Quantum Mechanics
   from first principles (see my "Why Occams Razor" paper)

Quantum Mechanics and Relativity appear to be just consequences of some world kernels having a non zero, finite difference in size and the dynamic providing a physical reality to a sequence of such world kernels - a non zero, discrete step evolution of the applicable world.