Hi All:

As I indicated in my last post I now see choice as an essential part of my (2). But what do I mean by choice and how does choice operate on the dynamic?

Speculation:

What is my idea of choice? In my (2) choice is the ability of a kernel currently having physical reality to select in part which kernel(s) next have physical reality and this selection is not a constant while a kernel has physical reality. This is not necessarily the same as "free will".

I think the first thing to notice is that by my definition of kernel the boundary establishing potential of a given kernel need not be associated with a fully fixed boundary. A boundary could for example have something like oil canning dents in it. The issue re the kernel is whether it is a particular boundary not a question of whether or not it is completely static. Such flexing or partially indeterminate features of a boundary partially determine the next kernel given physical reality. That is the current condition of the current kernel when the external dynamic moves physical reality partially determines which kernel(s) receive it.

Thus the external dynamic would be inconsistent with its history which is a requirement of (2).

Is this "free will"? "Free will" seems to require that one oil canning dent influence the state sequence of another oil canning dent in the same kernel while that kernel has physical reality. This seems an unnecessary step up in complexity for the total dynamic but it is not forbidden by the model since within a kernel the actual oil canning of a dent and its causes are not necessarily fixed. Surely this applies to large regions of the boundary containing many oil canning dents.

What is a SAS in this venue? Taken over a large enough region of the boundary the mechanism described above could account for "self aware" in what is actually an overall "timeless" moment.

I will try to put this all in a post to the "An All/Nothing multiverse model" thread.

Hal Ruhl