Norman Samish wrote:

But what about the sufferers of schizophrenia who Stathis Papaioannou
referred to? They exercise self-determination, and their mental state is
such that their actions, at least in some cases, are completely predictable.
Do they have free will?

Another example might be a self-aware computer of the future that would be
programmed to have predictable actions as well as self-determination. Would
it have free will?

In both cases, the actions of the Self-Aware Organism are predictable, hence
their will is not free. They are bound by their destiny.

To have free will, the actions of a SAO cannot be completely predictable.
To be free of complete predictability, at least some of the SAO's actions
must ultimately depend on some kind of random event.  At the most
fundamental level, this must be quantum indeterminacy.

It may be the case that quantum indeterminacy adds a random element which contributes to our experience of free will, but you are dismissing the other theoretical possibility, which is that our brains are vastly, chaotically and perhaps even intractably complex, but nonetheless completely deterministic machines. We would then still believe that we had "free will" , even though in reality we are all blindly following a predetermined script. How could we possibly know that this is not what is in fact happening?

--Stathis Papaioannou

Are you right for each other? Find out with our Love Calculator: