Le 14-avr.-05, à 01:31, Hal Finney a écrit :

Nick Prince writes:
If the MW immortality is correct then would we not only be immortal but
also very alone in the end. We know that we observe others die so
since we always find ourselves in a branch of the multiverse where we
live on - the conclusion seems inescapable

Can anyone figure a way out of such inevitable eternal loneliness
because I rather like to chat to my freinds!!

Yes, it's very simple. Just kill yourself whenever any of your friends die. Then you will only be alive in universes where your friends are alive.

Be careful. You need to take into account the probabilities (on which we talk
since the beginning of the list).
Example: if your friend dies due to the explosion of an atomic bomb, and if
you kill yourself with a gun the probabilities you survive in world where your friend
survive could be low. If your friend dies because he killed himself with a gun, then
if you kill yourself with an atomic bomb, indeed, you will make the probability
of staying with your friend high.
Of course It is just the idea. A "rigorous" computation should be based on an
explicit "probability" calculus relating energy, information, computational histories, ...
To sum up the problem: immortality makes the idea of killing oneself ... hard.