On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 12:25:33AM -0400, danny mayes wrote:
> Russell Standish wrote:
>

> >This is very sloppy - if "time-area" were proportional to volume, then
> >the divisor would be 10^300. Perhaps you meant proportional to length,
> >but then I do not see why this should be.
> >

> You are correct.  This is very sloppy.  First, I made a typo in
> referring to the cube as 10^300 on a side when I intended to say 10^300
> in volume.  Also, the time area would be proportional to the other
> spatial dimensions (a side) of the cube, not the volume.  My apologies.
> Again, the "time area" should equal a side if it is considered
> equivalent to a spatial dimension.

Actually, I didn't notice your "slip up". I interpreted you correctly
as referring to a cubic volume 10^100 planck units on a side.

What I was asking is why you think "time-area" should be proportional
to length. I can't see any reasoning as to what it should be
proportional to.

> >But decoherence increases information, not loses it.

> the interference of all the information from all the alternative
> outcomes.  We gain the information of one possible outcome.  From the
> multiverse view, there is no gain or loss of information, but from our
> perspective we gain one bit of information and the rest ends up in the
> alternative outcomes.

Indeed in the multiverse there is no net change in
information. However, you are making a fundamental mistake in assuming
information is additive. For every bit gained in a world due to
decoherence, the rest of the Multiverse gains another bit.

may safely ignore this attachment.