Stephen Paul King:

Dear Jesse,

I thought that you knew that there are serious problems with all known forms of QFT!

See, for example:

http://www.cgoakley.demon.co.uk/qft/

Yes, I've heard there are some conceptual problems with them, questions about whether the renormalization is mathematically well-founded, but there's no getting around the fact that they make excellent predictions. Any improved theory of quantum fields would presumably have to reproduce the same predictions in the domains where they've been tested, and explain why renormalization gives the right answers in these cases even if it isn't really well-founded in general (the author of the webpage you cite seems to want to just throw away renormalization completely and not explain why it works so well in practice, which seems like bad science to me). Do you think it's plausible that a theory involving a preferred reference frame would reproduce the predictions of a Lorentz-invariant theory?

Jesse