Did you mean to say a system *not* algorithmically compressible is defined as random?

--Stathis Papaioannou

Jonathan Colvin writes:
> Pondering on this, it raises an interesting question. Can we differentiate
> between worlds that are (or appear to be) rule-based, and those that are
> purely random?

The usual approach is that a system which is algorithmically compressible
is defined as random.  A rule-based universe has a short program that
determines its evolution, or creates its state.  A random universe has
no program much smaller than itself which can encode its information.

Hal Finney

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Messenger v7. Download now: http://messenger.ninemsn.com.au/