On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 12:40:10AM -0400, danny mayes wrote:
> Russell,
> 
> When I stated in the original reply that pulling information out of 
> other worlds in the MWI context was prohibited by physics, I was 
> referring to information about those universes.  As I stated, obviously 
> you can create a superposition to utilize  processing power in other 
> universes, but you can't take from this information about the 
> universes/worlds you are utilizing.  Therefore, the original concept of 
> people "seeing" into other universes seems to be prohibited by the laws 
> of physics.
> 
> As I understand it, the mathematics of Hilbert space prohibits 
> inter-world communications because the attempt to remove information 
> from Hilbert space causes decoherence, destroying reversibility.  "Any 
> Hilbert space accessible from more than one world line must be a 
> timeless place, in which we can leave no permanent mark." - Colin Bruce

Part of the problem is in assuming that all quantum worlds are
disjoint from each other, when it is clear this is not the case. Take
an example Multiverse that has one spin 1/2 particle in it. Clearly,
it consists of two worlds, one which has spin +1/2\hbar, the other
with spin -1/2\hbar in the z-direction. However, this Multiverse also
has another two worlds in it, one with spin +1/2\hbar and one with
-1/2\hbar, however this time in the x-direction. And so on. All these
worlds exist. By choosing to measure the particle in the x-direction,
I get information from both of the "+1/2-" and "-1/2 in the
z-direction" worlds, hence there is a form of information flow between
worlds.

Nevertheless, there is, as you say, no information flow between
decohered worlds.

> 
> Also, I'm interested in your TIME hypothesis.  Could you refer me to a 
> source for information, or summarize for me? 
> 

I initially raised it my paper "Why Occam's Razor", and have discussed
it a few times on the everything list. Try doing a search on
time+russell+standish on the everything list archive.

As a summary, it states that an observer must experience a time
dimension, within which e can process information, and bring disparate
facts together for comparison. About the only requirement of this time
object is that it must have topological dimension at least 1. I
usually assume that it is at least a "time scale" - see the Nohner and
Peterson's book:

@Book{Bohner-Peterson01,
  author =       {Martin Bohner and Allan Peterson},
  title =        {Dynamic Equations on Time Scales},
  publisher =    {Birkh\"auser},
  year =         2001,
  address =      {Boston}
}

Cheers


> Danny Mayes
> 

-- 
*PS: A number of people ask me about the attachment to my email, which
is of type "application/pgp-signature". Don't worry, it is not a
virus. It is an electronic signature, that may be used to verify this
email came from me if you have PGP or GPG installed. Otherwise, you
may safely ignore this attachment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/Prof Russell Standish                  Phone 8308 3119 (mobile)
Mathematics                                    0425 253119 (")
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]             
Australia                                http://parallel.hpc.unsw.edu.au/rks
            International prefix  +612, Interstate prefix 02
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment: pgp5RoqrRUZZ4.pgp
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to