Dear Stathis,

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stathis Papaioannou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <everything-list@eskimo.com>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 12:28 AM
Subject: Re: Tipler Weighs In

Dear Stephen,

Pearce spends considerable time in his thesis discussing the harm that "Brave New World" has done to Utopian causes. I rather suspect that Huxley would not have been disapproving, given his libertarian sympathies and fondness for hallucinogens in his later work. Orwell is completely different; there's nothing even superficially pleasant about his dystopian vision. The others I would have to look up; do you mean Frank "Dune" Herbert or another Frank Herbert?

Frank "Dune" Herbert, particularly, The Maker of Dune:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0425058344/qid=1116308591/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-5151334-9004020?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Pearce's thesis is freely available on his website, and it really is very well written, addressing just about every possible objection before you think of it.

   Excellent, I will look for it.

Stephen

--Stathis