Le 22-mai-05, à 08:27, Lee Corbin a écrit :

But the familiar first sentence just sends me into orbit:

   The hard problem of consciousness, according to
   David Chalmers, is explaining why and how
   experience is generated by certain particular
   configurations of physical stuff.

Just how the devil do you all you Chalmerites expect
that the world could have been any different in this
regard than it is???

Do you imagine that it's possible that we could go to
another star, and encounter beings who discoursed with
us about every single other thing, yet denied that they
had consciousness, and professed that they had no idea
what we were talking about? Yes or No! I want an answer.
Do you think that this *could* happen someday?

No. But that does not solve the problem. Even Feigenbaum's Eliza was able to talk on consciousness.

Let me try to put it in another way.

1) Do you agree it is wrong to torture a sensible being? (and right to send someone who does that in jail) ?
2) Do you agree there is nothing wrong to torture a sculpture or a doll?

Now japanese, I have read, makes cleverer dolls who simulate quite well "being tortured", or "looking as being sensible", but of course they are just zombie, not more clever than Feigenbaum's Eliza.

But they makes progress. The mind-body problem is: at which stage of the progress should we send a doll's torturer in jail? Should we wait for the doll being able to win a trial in court? Even women in many countries are not yet able to do that, you know.