I'd rather be reading quantum physics, but...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Corbin"
To: everything-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Challenging the Basic Assumptions
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 18:53:34 -0700

> aet writes
> > Jesse [writes] > but hey, this list is all about rambling speculations
> > about
> > > half-formed ideas that probably won't pan out to anything,
> > > you could just as easily level the same accusation against
> > > anyone here.
>
> Well, a number of us are under the impression that we are being
> very real, and actually very concrete. Also, a number of us
> consider ourselves to be dyed-in-the-wool skeptics.
>
> All speculations need to be challenged. Without criticism,
> no idea has passed the test. Every time one criticizes someone's
> idea, he or she is doing them a big favor.
>
> aet:
> > "Rambling speculations about half-formed ideas that probably
> > won't pan out to anything" is a good description of talking
> > to hear ones-self talk. If it's not going to pan out anyway,
> > then it's pretty meaningless.
>
> Yes, but we don't know until we try.

Usually, from what I've seen, there seems to be an attitude of not trying. And
I'm only quoting Jesse.

>Actually, my hat is off
> to those who'll spend the time to work out theories. They know
> that the chance is one in a million that it'll be *their*
> theory that is the new paradigm. But they try anyway, and
> I want to know about it.

I'll let you know when my book is out.

> > The only reason I won't quit the list for now is that, once
> > and a while, somebody actually says something interesting that's
> > worth taking note of. I'll just let all the rambling comments
> > about areas that I actually work in, slide from here on out -
> > since now it's official that the standard here is half-formed
> > ideas that won't pan out.
>
> Well :-) of course, everyone hopes his ideas will pan out.
>
> But since you are *so* skeptical (which is good), why don't you
> try to pin down people's outrageous statements. (I know, you
> have already been trying, to some degree.) The burden of proof
> is on *them*, remember.

I'm not really "skeptical", just have a low tolerance for obvious of b.s. But
in the end, I don't care what people think.

> Be patient. Be nice. And perhaps most important of all, be
> redundant. That is, to eliminate confusion ask a question
> at least twice, but in different ways.

Unfortunately, my heavy work load leads me to not want to have to do that. It
makes posts inordinately long winded.

> (I just made that point redundantly, and I think that most people
> appreciate this when it's done.)

I didn't know this was the little yellow bus crowd. I'll have to keep that in
mind. Like, I didn't know the list was frequented by the kids that ride the
little yellow bus to school, so I'll remember that, next time I write
something, here...again.

> Keep up your good work! People here may learn something, and
> so may you.
>
> Lee

I could only hope. In both cases of course. Meaning the little yellow bus
people learn something, and me too.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm