Paddy writes

> > A new branch starts, or decoherence obtains, or an irreversible
> > transformation occurs, or a record is made.  They all seem the
> > same to me. Why not?
> >
> > My main motivation is to get as far away from Copenhagen as possible,
> > and so thereby get free of observers and observations, and anything
> > else that seems to afford some pieces of matter a privileged status.
> > Do you think that such simplified language leaves out anything important?
>
> I don't think we disagree much about the physics. The trouble is, the
> physics is even simpler than you suggest.

Oh good!

> Branching is not something special in the theory, it is a macroscopic
> description that we apply to what emerges from the theory.

And so I take it that this applies to the rest of it that bothers
me: observables, observations, measurements, detectors---all those
things that you have kindly taken the time to "develop from scratch"
below.

> If you simplify your language too much, all that happens is you have
> to define all those useful approximate terms from scratch.

Very good. That *does* answer my question. At least I think it does.

We *start* with the ontology of (1) and (2), as you do below.
And actually---for a great number of philosophic purposes---
we are done. The rest is comfy language good for a little day-
to-day work in the lab. You probably realize what ammunition
this gives some of us in other debates  :-)

Building up from down deep (the way you do next) is even better
than "reducing" our usual notions (even when the latter is really
understood to mean the former).

Lee