Hi Hal,

Remember that the chain of events that must lead you to be 1000 years old must be perfectly logical and consistent. A good science fiction writer would have no problem weaving a plot that could bring you to such a situation. One could evoke living in a simulator, or the appearance of aliens capable of prolonging life, etc...

This plot would be extremely unlikely but so is our present situation right here and now. So your scenario differs only in degrees from the one we are experiencing right now.

Your age depends how you look at it. Our life as a continuous chain from cell to cell has lasted possibly more than 4 billion years. (happy birthday :-) ) So it appears that our existence does justify QTI

George

Hal Finney wrote:

Let me pose the puzzle like this, which is a form we have discussed
before:

Suppose you found yourself extremely old, due to a near-miraculous set
of circumstances that had kept you alive.  Time after time when you were
about to die of old age or some other cause, something happened and you
were able to continue living.  Now you are 1000 years old in a world
where no one else lives past 120.  (We will ignore medical progress for
the purposes of this thought experiment.)

Now, one of the predictions of QTI is that in fact you will experience
much this state, eventually.  But the question is this: given that you
find yourself in this circumstances, is this fact *evidence* for the
truth of the QTI?  In other words, should people who find themselves
extremely old through miraculous circumstances take it as more likely
that the QTI is true?

Hal Finney