From: George Levy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 4:01 PM
To: everything-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: objections to QTI

Hi Hal,

Remember that the chain of events that must lead you to be 1000 years
old must be perfectly logical and consistent. A good science fiction
writer would have no problem weaving a plot that could bring you to such

a situation. One could evoke living in a simulator, or the appearance of

aliens capable of prolonging life, etc...

This plot would be extremely unlikely but so is our present situation
right here and now.   So your scenario differs only in degrees from the
one we are experiencing right now.

Your age depends how you look at it. Our life as a continuous chain from

cell to cell has lasted possibly more than 4 billion years. (happy
birthday :-) ) So it appears that our existence does justify QTI

George

Hal Finney wrote:

Let me pose the puzzle like this, which is a form we have discussed
before:

Suppose you found yourself extremely old, due to a near-miraculous set
of circumstances that had kept you alive.  Time after time when you
were about to die of old age or some other cause, something happened
and you were able to continue living.  Now you are 1000 years old in a
world where no one else lives past 120.  (We will ignore medical
progress for the purposes of this thought experiment.)

Now, one of the predictions of QTI is that in fact you will experience
much this state, eventually.  But the question is this: given that you
find yourself in this circumstances, is this fact *evidence* for the
truth of the QTI?  In other words, should people who find themselves
extremely old through miraculous circumstances take it as more likely
that the QTI is true?

Hal Finney