I'm not convinced that the QM no-cloning theorem applies to
consciousness. We have no evidence one way or another that cloning is
possible. So it is reasonable to take it as a working assumption, and
work out the consequences (which is largely what Bruno has done), or
conversely take the opposite assumption and work out the
consequences. If either of these scenarios give different consequence
that could be tested  by experiment, we are much better off.

Cheers

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 10:57:24PM -0400, Stephen Paul King wrote:
> Dear Lee and Stathis,
>
>    I really do not want to be a stick-in-the-mud here, but what do we base
> the idea that "copies" could exist upon? What if "I", or any one else's 1st
> person aspect, can not be copied? If the operation of copying is
> impossible, what is the status of all of these thought experiments?
>    If, and this is a HUGE if, there is some thing irreducibly quantum
> mechanical to this "1st person aspect" then it follows from QM that copying
> is not allowed. Neither a quantum state nor a "qubit" can be copied without
> destroying the "original".
>
>    All of these threads so far seem to be assuming that the process that
> gives rise to a 1st person experience and the content of the experience
> itself are purely classical and can be faithfully represented by classical
> systems. It is this assumption, I believe, that underpins the entire
> classical Platonic thesis. Indications are that it has already been
> falsified, by the same experiments that unassailably imply that Nature is,
> at its core, Quantum Mechanical and not Classical and thus one wonders:
> "Why do we persist in this state of denial?"
>
> Stephen

may safely ignore this attachment.