At 12:50 AM 6/6/2005, you wrote:
A couple of hours ago, I was speaking to a young man who informed me that he can predict the future: he has visions or dreams, and they turn out to be true. I asked him for an example of this ability. He thought for a moment, explaining that there were really far too many examples to choose from, then settled on this one. During the recent war in Iraq, he had a dream about a buried train containing weapons. Two days later - you guessed it - he saw on the news that a buried train containing WMD's was discovered in Iraq! "And if that doesn't convince you that I'm psychic", my patient said (for that is what he was), "I don't know what will!"

My question to the list: should I have stopped this man's antipsychotic medication?

--Stathis Papaioannou
No.  Unless it was Disulfiram elixer. . .(sorry, couldn't resist.)

But were the antipsychotic meds *causing* the dreams or was it due to an insufficiently low dose? In the early 1970s ketamine Hcl was the anesthetic of choice on kids for minor surgical procedures---it was good for 25 minutes, it preserved the laryngeal reflex--and you could always tell when they were coming out---they would elicit this gripping motion. But in some cases it gave the kids OBEs. Typical doc response: Yipes! Let's use something else! Now, they use ketamine ONLY on Rover and Fluffy. Gives 'em big pupils for a couple of hours, and you don't really *care* what sensitive places they visited while they were under.

As for precognition. . while doing research for a book I authored in the mid-eighties, I first tracked nuclear clouds across the US--then went to the libraries in the paths of the debris clouds to see what was taking place as the radioactive material passed overhead. There were some strange coincidences, but that's probably all they were. However, there was one thing that impressed me---those in the "creative" professions occasionally conjure up artwork that, in retrospect, appears to be a precognitive "shadow" of an event taking place days or weeks later. The day before the worlds' first nuclear test, the NY Times had a couple of sly articles in the editorial section that alluded to the nuke,test. One article, for example, was titled, "A Gadget Long Needed." There was a book review about three stories: Two were titled, "A Fiery Lake" and "Solano." Now, of course, the NYT also had a reporter present at Los Alamos, so they probably wanted to scoop everyone else. Precognition score: probably zero. But then there was the weird little cartoon called "Flyin' Jenny" which was found in the secondary papers---in places like Mason City, Iowa and Houston, TX. on July 15, 1945 the main character (Flyin' Jenny) picked up her microphone and said: "Is there fire at the end of that gadget?" To me, that's pushing the coincidence envelope.

RM