> Saibal Mitra writes:
>
> >Because no such thing as free will exists one has to consider three
> >different universes in which the three different choices are made. The
> >three
> >universes will have comparable measures. The antropic factor of 10^100
will
> >then dominate and will cause the observer to find himself having made
> >choice
> >b) as one of the 10^100 copies in the minute without torture.
>
> But what will happen to the observer when the minute is up?
>
> --Stathis

Pretending that these three universes are all that exists, what will happen
is that the OM will find himself being another one of the 10^100 copies. The
copy survives with memory loss.

Saibal

In what sense can the copy (or anything) become another copy with memory loss? It is almost as if you are postulating a soul, which flies from one body to another, and somehow contains the original person's identity so that it survives memory loss. What is required for an observer moment OM_1 at time t1 to "become" the next observer moment at time t2 is that at least one successor OM exist with time stamp t2, a belief that he is the same person as OM_1, and memories of OM_1 up to time t2. If several such OM's exist {OM_2.1, OM_2.2, OM_2.3...} then either one may be the successor, with probability determined by the measure of OM_2.n relative to the measure of the whole set. Amazingly, being completely swamped with other OM's of various types and vintages, more or less closely related to OM_1, makes absolutely no difference to the process, because the OM's don't need to "find" each other and lock arms, all they need to do is *exist*, anywhere in the multiverse, related in the way I have described. This is somewhat analogous to the fact that the integer 56 is always followed by the integer 57, even though there are lots and lots of other integers everywhere amongst which these two could get lost.

--Stathsi Papaioannou

Dating? Try Lavalife get 7 days FREE! Sign up NOW. http://lavalife9.ninemsn.com.au/clickthru/clickthru.act?context=an99&locale=en_AU&a=19180