Eric Cavalcanti writes:

I believe that the solution is not 3-rd person communicable. I believe that if
I press the button 100 times, I'll never experience leaving the room, but
there will be 100 copies of me claiming otherwise. That is because I believe that my 1-st person probability (in the sense of degree of belief) in this case
is NOT equal to the fraction of functionally identical copies. I believe
that my first person expectation is not measurable by 3rd parties.

The only way I can be convinced otherwise is by doing the test. But then you
would never know, because empirically (for 3rd parties) the result would be
the same in either case.

I know that sounds somewhat solipsist in the end, but I can't believe
that merely scanning me can affect my future. And I would like to
be convinced otherwise, because I don't like solipsism.

What do you mean, "the only way I could be convinced otherwise is by doing the test"? You agree that there is no 3rd person difference, but the whole point is that there can't be any *1st* person difference either! What do you imagine this 1st person difference could be?

Actually, I sympathise with you, because for many years I wondered, if I went into a teleporter, would the person who came out the other end really be me, or would I have been committing suicide? Then a few years ago, on a Sunday afternoon driving home from the supermarket, it suddenly dawned on me that this was a crazy question. Other than thinking I was me, remembering my thoughts, behaving like me, looking like me, etc., what other evidence could there possibly be that the copy really was me? If I were to be consistent, I would have to wonder whether the person I was a few months ago was "really me", because the atoms comprising my body today are probably completely different. In fact, in *every respect* the person I was a few months ago differs more from me as I am today than I would differ from a teleported copy. In what way is the destruction of the original in teleportation different to the destruction of the original which occurs in the course of normal life, other than the speed with which it happens? If you collected all the discarded matter from your body over the course of a year, you would probably have more than enough to build a whole alternative person. Would you consider that person "dead", replaced by a mere copy? If not, could you give a consistent explanation for why you would consider teleportation to be basically different?

--Stathis Papaioannou

Single? Start dating at Lavalife. Try our 7 day FREE trial! http://lavalife9.ninemsn.com.au/clickthru/clickthru.act?context=an99&locale=en_AU&a=19179