Lee Corbin writes:

[quoting Stathis Papaioannou]
> Certainly, this is the objective truth, and I'm very fond of the objective
> truth. But when we are talking about first person experience, we are not
> necessarily claiming that they provide us with objective knowledge of the > world; we are only claiming that they provide us with objective knowledge of
> our first person experience.

"Objective knowledge of my first person experience", eh?  I'll
have to ponder that one!  Perhaps it will help if I contrast
it with subjective knowledge of my first person experience  :-)

If I say, "I feel that man is a crook", that is a subjective statement about a 3rd person fact (the man's honesty), but an objective statement about a 1st person fact (what I feel about the man).

> If we are to be strictly rational and consistent, it
> is simplest to go to the extreme of saying that *none*
> of the instantiations of an individual are actually the
> "same" person, which is another way of saying that each
> observer moment exists only transiently. This would mean
> that we only live for a moment, to be replaced by a copy
> who only thinks he has a past and a future.

Mike Perry, in his book "Forever For All" develops these
from the idea of "day-persons", i.e., the idea that you
are not the same person from day to day. But that's
certainly not a satisfactory way of extending our usual
notions into these bizarre realms; you and I want to live
next week because we believe that we are the same persons
we'll be then.  And the idea that we *are* fuzzy sets in
person space permits this.

> We die all the time, so death is nothing to worry about.

On this definition, yes. But this is *such* an impractical
approach. We all know that it's bad for your neighbor when
he dies, despite us and him totally believing in the MWI.
We would like to avoid having to say that we die all the
time.

"Impractical" is not the first criticism that comes to mind re this belief. Suppose it were revealed to you that as part of an alien experiment over the past 10,000 years, all Earth organisms with a central nervous system are killed whenever they fall asleep and replaced with an exact copy. (Sleep has actually been introduced by the aliens specifically for this purpose; otherwise, what possible evolutionary advantage could it confer?) Would it make any practical difference to your life? Would your attitude towards friends and family change? Would you take stimulants and try to stay awake as long as possible? Is there anything about how you feel from day to day that could be taken as evidence for or against this revelation? If the aliens offered to stop doing this in your case in exchange for a substantial sum of money, or several years reduction in your (apparent) lifespan, would you take up the offer? My answer to all these questions would be "no".

--Stathis Papaioannou

SEEK: Over 80,000 jobs across all industries at Australia's #1 job site. http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail