Lee Corbin wrote:

When I was in high school, I read that dentists were considering
use of a new anasthetic with this property. I was revolted, and
even more revolted when none of my friends could see anything
wrong with it.

Experiences are real, whether you remember them or not.

It's interesting how different people react to things. I've actually been through this (see previous post); it's not theoretical for me. And I would do it again, and wish my dentist could use this technique.

(Of course, in my case, is was for a semi-surgical procedure that I could probably have withstood with conscious sedation; I don't think I'd choose this for open heart surgery!)

Here is a case where I voluntarily chose to undergo a mildly painful experience with the foreknowledge that I would have no recall of it. I am none the worse for it. Did I "experience" pain? Yes, so I am told. Was that experience real? Sure. Can I relive that experience in my memory? Not a chance. And that's how I wanted it. What is so revolting about it?

What's behind the strong emotion here? (You seem to have had a similar reaction to the events depicted in Brin's "Kiln People.")