Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

You would also need to know the electrical potential at every point of every cell membrane; the ionic gradients (Na, K, Ca, pH and others) across every cell membrane, including intracellular membranes; the type, position and conformation of every receptor, ion channel and other proteins; the intracellular and local extracellular concentrations of every neurotransmitter; the workings of the cellular transport, synthetic and repair mechanisms for each neuron and probably also for each supporting glial cell; the intracellular and extracellular concentration of other small molecules such as glucose, O2, CO2; how all of this is changing with respect to time; and probably thousands of other paramemters, many of which would currently be unknown.

This is unfair. According to this strict standard you are not the same person today as you were yersterday. In fact even an automotive transportation method would violate the above standard. We can't expect a Star-Trek tranporter to have more "High Fidelity" than a car. The question is how much can we relax the standard until the person at the output is "not the same" as the person at the input. In a brain substitution experiment, when should the patient say "yes doctor" or "no doctor"?

George