Tom: I guess I'll have to ponder this more. In general I am
uncomfortable with having terms like "physics" and >> "psychology/consciousness" defined (redefined?) later on in an argument rather than at the beginning.

Bruno: That is a little bit curious because in SANE I *exceptionally*
do give the "new" definitions at the beginning. And this asks me a specially hard effort. My initial goal was just to help people to understand by themselves that the "mind-body problem" is NOT YET solved. I did say "universal dovetailer paradox" instead of "universal dovetailer argument". Same for the movie graph. I just ask questions in succession and if you say yes at each steps you get the conclusion. Like always in logic, making a paradox precise makes you get a theorem.

Tom: See my last comment below.

Tom: In such a setting, I find it very difficult (impossible?) to
get a > grasp of what your hypotheses are.

Bruno: It is the hypothesis that we are machines...
Now I am not sure what exactly you don't grasp in the hypotheses. To make comp precise, and to avoid unecessary objections I make it clear that I bet also on the elementary arithmetical truth (1+1 = 2, no-biggest -primes, Fermat theorem, etc.), and Church thesis (which is not trivial!).

Tom: My exception to your hypotheses was supposedly independent of Church's thesis or arithmetic realism, but the objection was regarding your definition of physics, which seems too narrow to me. But now I am pondering your rebuttal of this exception, and I'm realising that there is some background that I need to become more familiar with. It's just that at first reading, I got a gut feeling that you unknowingly limited physics a priori, thus leading to the conclusion that physics is limited in that way.

Tom: In parallel, I guess I have another question: It seems that in
the > UDA you artificially limit all of physics to be the solution to one > particular thought experiment. This seems narrow to me.

Bruno: But all *theorems* are particular thought experiments.
 And *this* thought experiment explains how "all physics" is related to the only clear notion of "everything" I ever met, which is the collection of partial computable function, which is closed for the most transcendental operation ever discovered by mathematician: Cantor-KLeene-Godel diagonalization.

Tom: Have you considered translating the UDA into mathematics?

Tom