On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 06:09:39PM +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On that note I'm not sure Wheeler's description is the same. In my idea of
> the calculus all there is is the sheets of paper. There are no symbols (no
> intrinsic representation). There are intrinsic rules of formation and
> transformation that relate and associate the bits of paper. If the bits of
> paper were jigsaw pieces with implicit connective rules then it is more like
> my idea.
>
> If you try an build a universe as a monism from an enormous quantity of only
> one thing (a primitive sign - piles of little bits of paper :) ) then you can
> construct space and the leftovers become the stuff we call matter. Deep down
> it's all the one thing, however. It's been a fascinating mental exercise for
> me.
>
> The problem is to let go of all the maths in a symbolic sense. We have this
> huge and very historically justified tendency to think the linear maths is
> the 'real stuff' of the natural world. I have been able to think of ways in
> which that is not the case, but that look 'as if' it was. It doesn't
> invalidate our maths, it just makes it look like it's not justified to
> ascribe anything more to the existence of our maths than that of a useful
> limited description.
>
> The main thing is to get used to the idea of ridding your preconceptions of
> symbolic 'aboutness'. There is no intrinsically meaningful sign. However an
> intrinsic event: the expression of the sign (any sign), can literally be a
> truth in itself. The fact of the utterance of the sign itself is a truth.
> From that all other truths can be expressed through meaningless signs
> combining through intrinsic properties (affinities) for other signs.
>
> It's more like a reified mega-dimensional cellular automata, actually. Not a
> traditional computational one. It took me a long time to be able to let go of
> my symbolic mathematical tendencies when I needed to.
>
> You can make our universe out of hierarchically structured noise starting
> from nothing. The 'sign' in the calculus is basically the elemental noise
> event of the entropy calculus I have played with. Stuff that looks like the
> rules of quantum mechanics appears well up the hirearchy. Waaaaaay up the
> hierarchy it looks ontological but with structure all the way down to the
> elemental signs. The one that makes us is somewhere between 15? and 40?
> organisational layers deep. Very busy, these Leibniz's !!
>
> Lots of fun! Don't know what to make of it but at least it has enabled me to
> post to this thread with a little bit of novelty!
>
> cheers
>
> colin

Hi Colin, Have you written up your "entropy calculus" in a paper, so
we could have a more detailed look at it? I know you sent me a paper
of yours recently (and apologies - I haven't read your latest draft
yet either :( ), but it doesn't seem to connect with what you are
saying here.

Cheers

may safely ignore this attachment.