--- Bruno Marchal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Then you should avoid saying "Scientists believe
> that the universe is
> one giant computer."
> Not only many scientist disagree, but actually this
> is in contradiction
> with the comp. hyp. (the computationalist hypothesis
> which asserts that
> "I" am simulable by a computer). I know it is often
> confuse but I have
> propose an argument according to which if I am a
> computer then whatever
> the "physical universe can be" it cannot be a
> computer (perhaps even it
> cannot be, at all).
> (But of course the comp hyp could be false.)

O.K, perhaps I should clarify that and state that I
think 'binary numbers' (0's and 1's) are the ultimate
'stuff' of reality.  Pure binary maths by itself is
not quite 'computation' is it?  I think 'computation'
requires that some minimal *meaning* be assigned to
the 0's and 1's.  So I could agree that the universe
is not a computer.  It's just pure binary math.

So what do you think of the idea that the ultimate
fabric of reality is pure binary math?

THE BRAIN is wider than the sky,
  For, put them side by side,
The one the other will include